Website

Wednesday, March 14, 2012
Due to some changes I am making please be aware that my website, paulasmithphotography.com, will be down for a few weeks as of the 16th. The current website layout and hosting that I am using is... convenient and low maintenance, unfortunately it cannot stand up to the level of functionality I would like.

I am downloading the entire Adobe Creative Suite as I type and will soon start the long, pain staking road to building my own website code by code. Now the last time I did any heavy programming or used such programs was almost ten years ago, and we all know how quickly technology moves. Needless to say, this is going to be quite the challenge, fingers crossed. First things first though, which would be learning the new code! Now there are all new types of HTML, SQL, etc. Thankfully in this information rich cyber society we live in today a there are hundreds of YouTube videos, blog posts, tutorials and who knows what else all at my fingertips to help me learn this new age coding as quickly as possible.

Here are my hopes for the site:

Dynamic pages that are easy to use and comprehensive for photo viewing.
A streamlined proofing system that makes it easy for you and your relatives to order.
Simplistic layout without clutter.

Pretty simple right? Well this is much easier said that done. The reason you see so many websites with simple primary colored columns on either side and tons of blue hyperlinks is because, it's EASY and it really is. I could throw one of those up by tomorrow, no problem. However I know that when I click on a link and it takes to me to this gorgeous page with a flash introduction, clean lines, sophisticated buttons and pretty font that I am impressed by the product they are offering much more easily. Presentation matters.

Okay, here goes!

So that you're not completely bored with this post, here's a picture ;-)

0 comments:

Post a Comment